Our History

 

The Bridgewater Police Department was formally organized under a standing Committee for Police and Licenses, upon the town's incorporation in 1899, late for a Nova Scotia town. The Chief of Police, also serving as "Sanitary Inspector and Truant Officer," worked with a budget of less than $600 as did his successors for the first two decades, to cover wages, uniforms ($62) and equipment costs of $13.

Typical activities were hiring a horse and wagon to convey prisoners to the Lunenburg jail, a prosecution for giving tobacco to a minor, enforcing Nova Scotia's Temperance Act and enforcing quarantine for families and individuals stricken with Diphtheria, Scarlet Fever, Small Pox and the like.

The first "lock up," owned and shared with the Municipality (County), was said to be "not a fit place to put a man" and "is very unsatisfactory as well as dangerous to prisoners and property" -- no heat ... and damp all the time ... and no toilet. In 1918, this longstanding issue was dealt with when two governments split the costs, equal to 118% of that year's operating budget, to place four new steel cages in the basement of the Courthouse.

 

CHIEFS OF POLICE (1899 to present)

1899-1900 Henry T. Mitchel

1901 George A. Connors

1902 Frank E. Christopher

1903 W. N. Crouse

1904-1905 Robert Golightly

1906-1910 W. H. Ford

1911 George Pryde

1912-1918 George A. Connors 

1919-1921 J. S. Coffill

1922-1923 W. F. Adams

1924-1928 Lewis C. Rice

1928-1934 Peter A. MacGillivray

1934-1942 J. T. O'Leary

1943-1945 R. M. Fancy

1945-1948 Donald Oickle

1949 R. E. Kaulback

1950-1961 H. L. Hopkins

1962-1968 D. Cantelope

1969-1979 B. E. Webber

1980-1999 David B. McGinnis

1999-2002 Shirlen Seamone

2002-2011 Brent Crowhurst

2011+ John Collyer